YouTube took down an ‘unprecedented volume’ of videos after New Zealand shooting

YouTube dealt with an “unprecedented volume” of videos after last week’s mass shooting in New Zealand, as the platform struggled to remove videos with the footage, YouTube’s chief product officer told The Washington Post.

Friday’s killings at two mosques in Christchurch were recorded and posted to social media channels around the world as part of a plan that was seemingly designed to spread the footage online. As the footage made its way around the internet, it was reuploaded repeatedly. Yesterday, Facebook said it removed 1.5 million videos of the attack in the first 24 hours after the shooting.

While YouTube did not say precisely how many videos it ultimately removed, the company faced a similar…

Continue reading…

Powered by WPeMatico